10 Simple Ways To Boost Your Emotional Health
Health isn’t all about avoiding illness and staving off infections. Your emotional wellbeing is just as important as your physical health- neglect one and the other will suffer. There are plenty of simple steps that you can take to improve your emotional health, allowing you to experience life more fully and feel a greater sense of security in your relationships and yourself.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise is clinically proven to boost your mood. Even if it’s a short walk each morning, some moderate exercise will improve your circulation, relax your mind and release those feel-good endorphins that we all need. Boosting your physical fitness will do wonders for your overall wellbeing.
- Let the sunshine in. While we don’t recommend lounging in the hot sun all day, regular exposure to sunshine can lift your mood while elevating your Vitamin D levels. Just make sure that you remember your sunscreen and head to the shade when the sun is at its hottest.
- Lay off the booze. While a glass of wine in the evening might sometime feel like a relaxing treat, alcohol is actually a depressant, and can have damaging long-term effects on your body and mind. Wind down with a mug of herbal tea instead for a healthier form of relaxation.
- Get your beauty sleep. Your brain can’t function properly when it hasn’t rested, so try to get at least eight hours of sleep every night.
- Practice meditation. Numerous studies have shown the incredible impact that regular meditation can have on your mental health. Practice mindful breathing and check in with every part of your body- it may be tough at first but this practice can have a lasting positive effect.
- Stay in today. Try not to worry about the future or dwell in the past. This is easier said than done, but it’s something to look out for if you’re struggling with excessive anxiety or depression. Focus on the current moment and don’t get carried away with thoughts about things that can’t be changed.
- Cuddle your pet. Snuggling with your cat or playing outside with your dog is a fun and effective way to lift your mood. Don’t have a pet? If it’s a responsibility you feel able to take on then consider adopting one. Caring for an animal will give you a sense of purpose, and your energy will be returned with the unconditional love that only a pet can offer.
- Get in touch with nature. Go for walks as often as possible and try to appreciate your surroundings. If you live in a city, take the time to seek out your local parks and get away from the hustle and bustle of urban life.
- Find a new hobby. If you’re feeling bored and unfulfilled, look for a new hobby to enjoy in your free time. Try out something new or take up a hobby that you’ve always considered.
Engage your senses. Using your senses can be a useful grounding exercise when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Breathe in a scent that you find soothing, get a massage to experience relaxing tou