Clean Your Home With Green Products
Standard household cleaners may look innocent enough, but they have a profoundly negative impact on the health of our families and the health of our planet. Chemical-based cleaning products are packed with harmful toxins, worsening conditions such as asthma and eczema while spreading harmful gases into the atmosphere. Do your part to help the environment by making a switch to natural, eco-friendly products that will still leave your home looking squeaky clean.
Homemade Cleaning Solutions
The cheapest and simplest way to move over to non-toxic cleaning is by making your own cleaning solutions. The following products are easy to get hold of and can be mixed and matched to suit a range of household problems.
- Lemon: lemon can be used in a variety of solutions to quickly scrub away bacteria. The strong natural acid works just as well as many chemical-based household cleaners, particularly when combined with other ingredients.
- Baking Soda: baking soda is ideal for natural deodorizing. It can also be used to clean, scour and soften water.
- Cornstarch: instead of buying a range of different products designed to clean different surfaces, invest in cornstarch. This natural product can clean rugs and carpets as well as windows. It also works well as a replacement for furniture polish.
- White Vinegar: this cheap household item can remove stains, remove mildew, cut through grease and remove wax build up.
- Borax: otherwise known as sodium borate, borax softens wallpaper, cleans walls and wallpaper, deodorizes and disinfects. Use borax with care as it can slightly irritate sensitive skin, although certainly not as much as common toxic household cleaners.
Once you’ve purchased all of these basic household cleaning items, you’ll be able to mix them up into useful solutions. Here are a few basic homemade formulas that can be used around your home. All of these formulas are non-toxic, safe for those with allergies and non-polluting to the environment.
- All-Purpose Cleaner: This is the key mixture for any household. It’s very simple- just take ½ gallon of water and add ¼ cup of baking soda and ½ cup of vinegar. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and use in your kitchen, bathroom and anywhere else you please! There are natural cleaners available to buy in stores that have a similar set of ingredients, but it’s far cheaper to make your own at home.
- Easy Air Freshener: the air fresheners you buy in stores do nothing to eliminate odours, they simply mask them with harsh chemicals and clog up your nasal passages with synthetic scents. Instead of using these products, place a mixture of baking soda, vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl and put it anywhere in your house that needs deodorizing. The mixture will absorb bad odours and leave your house smelling fresh and clean.
- Carpet Stain Remover: you’ll be especially aware of this problem if you have pets or small children, and may have tried out a thousand different commercial products to try and scrub away the stains. You can actually make a highly effective all-natural stain remover by mixing equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the solution onto the carpet and leave it for a few minutes- then scrub with warm soapy water and a sponge.